Sunday, July 14, 2013

Kansas Rain Gauges

Last Wednesday evening, Norm Oeding of Janzen Family Farms contacted me.

Norm said that he would have free Kansas Rain Gauges for anyone that would like one! He also mentioned that they carried the logos of a variety of beverage and were slightly blemished.

Everyone loves free stuff, right? "Perfect" I thought. I could use I rain gauge, so could others!

Low and behold when I arrived at the Farmer's Market, Norm bestowed on me my free gift.

Yes, it is a pop bottle cap. I had my doubts that this was an adequate instrument to collect rain, but considering Whitewater received only about an inch for the entire month of June. This rain gauge may actually prove useful. Plus I'm all for upcycling! So Saturday, I put my "Kansas rain gauge" out on our deck.

Sure enough it collects the rain, but I should have picked up a couple more. Saturday evening and Sunday morning, we received about 3/4 of an inch for the Whitewater area. My rain gauge holds a little  less than 1/4 inch of rain. I had to empty my rain gauge 4 times.

Thank goodness Norm brings more than just rain gauges to the Farmer's Market! Come try the loaf bread, rolls, hamburger and hot dog buns from the Little Red Hen Bakery as well as Big Rick's BBQ sauce and other locally produced condiments. Norm also sells organic wheat and flour, as well as grass feed beef.

Next Market is Friday, July 26th.





No comments:

Post a Comment